The Office of Faculty Development and Diversity is Harvard’s central faculty affairs office.
Our goal: to recruit and retain outstanding scholars and teachers as we continue to diversify the faculty.
We are especially attentive to tenure-track faculty needs and the concerns of women and minority faculty at all academic ranks.
FD&D works with the Schools to guide faculty affairs policies and practices through:
- Leading efforts to strengthen Harvard’s faculty
- Offering University-wide programs to improve faculty life and diversity
- Gathering and analyzing data on faculty appointments.
The Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity works with the President and Provost and is responsible for:
- Advising on the tenure process
- Reviewing tenure-track and senior non-ladder appointments in some Schools
- Reviewing requests to appoint endowed chairs
- Administering central funds earmarked for appointing outstanding scholars who increase the excellence and diversity of Harvard faculty