This is a difficult time for all of us, but it is particularly hard for faculty parents of young children. We want to provide special support for these faculty who must balance the need to care for their young children at home while teaching online, all against the backdrop of regular care disruptions and the need for social distancing. We fully sympathize with the extra demands and stresses this puts upon faculty parents in this extraordinary and unprecedented situation.
We have extended the temporary program for back-up childcare expenses for faculty due to COVID-19.
Eligible faculty may apply to receive $1500 (before taxes) in reimbursement for back-up childcare expenses.
Faculty who used this program in the Spring of 2020 remain eligible for additional funds.
Funds may be used for in-home sitters, week-long summer day camps, and fees for online classes.
Potential sources for finding in-home caregivers include:
- Your personal network
- The Care@Work program (pre-registration required)
- The Care.com digital platform (free to Harvard employees after pre-registration)
- The Student Employment Office (SEO) which pairs families and children with Harvard undergraduate students for virtual or in-person tutoring, babysitting, or other jobs
- Harvard Student Agencies which pairs families and children with Harvard students for tutoring services in person or online from anywhere in the world
- Be on a regular Harvard payroll, eligible for benefits, and working at least half time
- Be in one of the job titles / ranks listed in the table at the bottom of this page
- Have at least one child age 10 or under
Had in 2019 a gross household income of less than $200,000 and attest to this on the claim form
- Additional children under the age of 13 or single-parent households increase the maximum income by $10,000
- Between July 1 - December 31, 2020, be teaching a formal course online, mentoring students, or performing required School / departmental administrative duties
- Attest on the claim form that usual childcare arrangements are no longer available or disrupted due to COVID-19
How to Claim
You and your caregiver must complete and sign the claim form. Email this form with any receipts to email@example.com. You may use multiple claim forms and submit as many times as needed.
Deadline for submitting claims is January 15, 2021.
Should the University conclude at a later date that the childcare arrangements supported by this program are no longer consistent with public health guidelines and safe practices, further commitments of these funds will end. If that occurs, eligible costs incurred before any policy change will still be covered.
We know that nothing will entirely alleviate the stress of this situation, but we hope that this program may help defray some of the unexpected costs that faculty parents will encounter.
Eligible Job Ranks / Titles
|Associate Professor / Associate Professor, Chaired||000152, 000192|
|Assistant Professor / Assistant Professor, Chaired||000202, 000263|
|Professor in Practice, Chaired, GSD||000035|
|Professor in Practice, GSD||000034|
|Associate Professor in Practice||000036|
|Assistant Professor in Practice||000037|
|Professor in Residence, Term||000041|
|Professor in Residence, Term Chaired||000042|
|Professor of Practice||000052|
|Professor of Practice, Chaired||000054|
|Clinical Professor of Law||000063|
|Assistant Clinical Professor of Law||000261|
|Professor, Visiting Assistant||000172|
|Professor, Visiting Associate||000182|
|Senior Lecturer / Senior Lecturer (Faculty)||000300, 000301|
|Associate Senior Lecturer||000393|
|Senior Preceptor (Faculty)||000741|
|Preceptor, Preceptor (Other Faculty)||000722, 000743|
|Professor, Multi-Year Adjunct||000044|
|Benjamin Peirce Lecturer||000045|
|Lecturer (Annual), Part-Time||000321|
|HMS / HSDM Instructors||000403|